Marketing & Communications Summer Intern
March 8, 2019
Job Title: Marketing & Communications Summer Intern
June 2019 – August 2019
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt, Temporary, Internship
Hours: 15-20 hours/week
Closing Date: March 31, 2019
Minnesota Alliance With Youth
Minnesota Alliance With Youth works in partnership with youth to ensure that ALL young people have equitable educational opportunities that foster their individual assets, honor their voices, and prepare them to reach their goals. The Alliance accomplishes this mission through our core organizational values of equity, quality, and collaboration.
The Alliance is excited to offer an excellent opportunity for youth or young adults to gain practical and professional experience in a non-profit organization. Our summer internship program is in-depth, challenging, and rewarding, and allows young people an opportunity to learn various aspects of marketing and communications.
The Marketing and Communications Summer Intern will assist in promoting our major initiatives: AmeriCorps Promise Fellows, AmeriCorps VISTAs, and the Minnesota Youth Council. This position will perform a variety of day-to-day tasks and will work closely with our Chief Advancement Officer in providing support cross-functionally through materials creation, social media marketing, strategic outreach, and campaign development.
The ideal candidate will have strong critical thinking skills and an understanding and knowledge of the digital media landscape, to include but not limited to photography, social media content creation and management, graphic design, or copywriting for digital use. Summer 2019 internships are generally June 2019 – August 2019 and hours will be between 15-20 hours a week. Schedules can be flexible to accommodate school/work schedules.
Essential functions include:
- Create content, templates and strategies to support the Alliance’s social media outreach and advertisement
- Develop marketing materials for AmeriCorps opportunities
- Create a library of high-quality photographs for Alliance programs
- Capture video content and create short clips for online distribution
- Interview and develop stories of service for Promise Fellow and VISTA alumni
- Provide support on recruitment projects
- Provide support on communication projects
- Review all Alliance policy efforts and make recommendations for improvement
- Review procedures and policies with a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens and make recommendations for improvement
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Must be creative & resourceful
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, etc).
- An effective communicator, both written and oral
- An understanding or openness to learning about the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities
- Be open to learning about the Alliance’s core values of equity, quality and collaboration
- Ability to shift focus in response to evolving organizational needs
- Ability to perform sedentary work as required
Typical Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to work at a computer for long periods of time
- Able to work in environment that is quiet but with many people demanding attention
- Able to frequently stand, walk, sit, and climb in performing duties in the office and for onsite and offsite meetings and events
- Able to maintain regular operation of normal office machines (telephone, computer, copier, and other office machines) is required
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Able to work evening and weekends for meetings and events
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is $15.00/hour. Specific work schedule can be flexible to accommodate schedule. Hours per week is 15-20 hours. The internship will generally run from June through August. Dates are negotiable. This position is not be eligible for benefits, but will accrue Sick Leave in accordance with the Earned Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. Office located in St. Paul, MN. To apply, interested candidates must complete a cover letter, resume, provide contact information for three references, and a working digital/media portfolio or examples of your work (can be a pdf, links to websites, images, and/or social media sites, etc). Please send all required materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org and include in the subject line Summer Internship. Deadline to apply is March 31, 2019. No phone calls please.
To learn more about Minnesota Alliance With Youth, visit our website at: www.mnyouth.net.
Please note: We are committed to recruiting and engaging individuals without regard to disability, gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation. We are committed to the principle of equity and are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of individuals.
- Reasonable accommodations provided upon request.
- This document is available in alternative formats.
This position is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service. Employment is contingent on the successful completion of required background checks.