How to Apply
Do I qualify to serve as an Alliance AmeriCorps member?
By design, Minnesotans of all ages and from all walks of life qualify to serve in AmeriCorps. If you’re willing to spend a year or a summer in service to young people in Minnesota communities, you are an exceptional person — and we want to hear from you.
To serve in the Alliance’s AmeriCorps programs, you need to be:
- 18 or older by the time your service starts
- a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
- a GED recipient or high-school graduate
Beyond those qualifications, you’ll also need:
- belief in the potential of all Minnesota youth
- commitment to antiracism and educational equity
- desire for personal & professional growth
Why AmeriCorps service might be right for you
- No experience necessary. If you are just entering the workforce, changing careers, or returning to work after a time away, it can be difficult to get started in a professional role. Service in the Alliance’s AmeriCorps programs is an ideal way to jump-start your career in education, nonprofits or government — with no previous experience necessary.
- As few barriers as possible. If you care enough to support the success of Minnesota’s young people, we believe you deserve the chance to do so. That’s why we remove as many unfair barriers to employment as possible. People with past justice involvement are encouraged to apply. There is no required drug screening. And we work hard to make service sustainable for people with limited financial means. If you have questions about your specific situation, just get in touch.
- Benefits of service. Beyond a modest living stipend throughout your term of service, AmeriCorps members are also eligible for help with student loans, money for college or trade school, childcare and transportation support, and more. Learn about the benefits.
Doing good for Minnesota youth
The most important reason to serve in the Alliance’s AmeriCorps programs is the simplest: for your whole term of service, you will be making a meaningful and lasting positive difference in the lives of young people. The work will be challenging, but the rewards are profound. Hear AmeriCorps members share why they serve.Apply Now!
The application will take around 15 minutes to complete, and will ask you for contact info, information about your education and work experiences, AmeriCorps eligibility confirmation, and site preferences. Our application does not require a resume, cover letter, or references, however host sites may request these during the site placement process (more info on site placement below).
If you meet the qualifications to serve, the next step is an interview with staff at Minnesota Alliance With Youth. One of our passionate staff members will contact you to schedule your interview. The interview is an opportunity for us to get to know you and for you to get to know us! Be prepared, and take a look at our interview questions ahead of time!
invitation to Serve
If you are selected to serve, you will receive an email with the good news following your interview. (This offer will be conditional on placement.) Congrats! Respond to this email and start preparing for host site interviews.
Within a month of receiving the invitation to serve, you will have the opportunity to interview with host sites of your choosing. Placement will be confirmed upon mutual agreement from member and host site.
Once you have been matched with host site school or organization, you’ll begin the AmeriCorps onboarding process. The onboarding processes and timelines are different for Promise Fellows and VISTAs.