Since 1997, Minnesota Alliance With Youth has been working with young people, their schools, and their communities to ensure that innovative approaches inspire academic and civic engagement. As the state’s leading youth development capacity-builder, convener, and collaborator, the organization catalyzes communities, helping all Minnesota youth graduate from high school on time with plans for ongoing success in school, work, and life. The Alliance serves as a backbone intermediary, impacting individuals and systems, and creating life-changing outcomes using the following strategies:
- Engaging young people in mentoring and service-learning activities that inspire academic success and civic leadership.
- Convening youth and adults from every congressional district to lead advocacy and philanthropy efforts through the Minnesota Youth Council.
- Serving as the state’s lead agency for Global Youth Service Day and Delta Dental of Minnesota’s Serve-a-Smile mini-grant initiative.
- Celebrating the contributions of young people through the annual Red Wagon Awards, in partnership with the Lieutenant Governor.
Innovation Through Collaboration
The Alliance specializes in creative approaches to multi-sector work, bringing new perspectives to community needs:
- Developing a statewide network of school and community partners committed to bridging the opportunity and achievement gaps with support from more than 200 AmeriCorps Promise Fellows.
- Mobilizing a statewide cohort of 72 youth and adults who advance policy and philanthropy through a dynamic three-way partnership with the intermediary Youthprise and nonprofit youthrive.
- Inspiring communities to form new coalitions that share best practices, coordinate resources, and offer trainings – culminating in local, regional, and statewide summits on education and youth development issues.
The Alliance helps communities statewide develop a framework of common goals, shared agendas, collective measures, and unified messages:
- Ensuring that all young people have access to caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, effective education, and opportunities to lead and serve – the “Five Promises” – so that they can achieve success in school, work, and life.*
- Increasing the capacities of schools and community-based organizations through AmeriCorps Promise Fellows who tutor, support service-learning experiences, organize volunteers, aggregate and evaluate data, and lead out-of-school-time opportunities in schools and communities with the highest needs.
- Amplifying and unifying the voices of young people by connecting them to out-of-school-time opportunities and legislative and educational systems through the Minnesota Youth Council.
- Serving as the central organization in Minnesota for Grad Nation, ensuring that all partners share a common agenda and measurement strategies, engage in mutually reinforcing activities, and communicate across agencies so that Minnesota is on track to achieve a 90 percent graduation rate by 2020.*
* The Alliance is the Minnesota affiliate of America’s Promise, which also leads the Grad Nation campaign. For more information visit www.americaspromise.org