Host an AmeriCorps Member
Apply to host 2017-18 AMERICORPS PROMISE FELLOWS*!
*Please note we are no longer accepting applications to host 2017-18 VISTA members.
AmeriCorps Promise Fellows
The Alliance will be placing over 200 AmeriCorps Promise Fellows across the state to support youth in grades 6-10 who are at risk of dropping out of school. Schools and school districts, community organizations, government agencies, and others are invited to submit an application to host AmeriCorps Promise Fellow/s for the 2017-2018 academic year. Learn more about the benefits of hosting an AmeriCorps Promise Fellow!
AmeriCorps Alliance VISTAs
The Alliance will be placing 15 VISTA Members across the state to support and amplify the capacity of organizations to be effective and powerful solutions in addressing poverty and educational inequities, with the ultimate goals of supporting more youth to graduate and closing the opportunity and achievement gaps in Minnesota. Schools, non-profits, government agencies, community-wide coalitions, and statewide agencies are invited to submit an application to host AmeriCorps VISTA Members for the 2017-2018 Service year (July 29th, 2017 – July 28th, 2018).
OVERVIEW FOR HOST SITES
Host Sites engage and partner with the Alliance in recruiting and selecting members to serve at their site, and contribute a cash match of $7,200 per AmeriCorps Member. Sites may apply for more than one Promise Fellow and/or VISTA Member are encouraged to consider hosting a cohort of Members to create deep and lasting impact.
Outlined below are the steps necessary to apply to host AmeriCorps Promise Fellows or VISTA members:
1. Alliance Promise Fellow & VISTA Program Overview: This document provides background on the Promise Fellow and VISTA member roles, including research and evaluation requirements along with Host Site rights and responsibilities. All Host Sites are held to requirements as outlined in this document.
2. Application Questions: We recommend answering the application questions in a Word document which can then be cut and pasted into the online application system (see below).
3. Position Description Templates: Please use the required template to create and upload a position description in the online application system. *Please note: subject to Alliance approval.*
4. Sample Interview Questions: Please use the templates below to create and upload your interview questions in the online application system. *Please note: subject to Alliance approval.*
April 7: Priority deadline for Promise Fellow Host Site Applications (The Alliance is no longer accepting application to host VISTA members)
Ongoing: Placement awards
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE ALLIANCE NETWORK
- Access to over 100 partner organizations across Minnesota including schools, community based organizations, statewide nonprofits and government agencies
- An opportunity to work closely with GradMinnesota and the Minnesota Youth Council
- An opportunity to expand the support and resources your organization is currently able to provide for youth
- New talent and creativity as AmeriCorps members join your team
- Ongoing monthly training and support from Alliance staff
- Cost effective option for a full-time staff member who increases support for youth
Hosting an AmeriCorps Promise Fellow has developed a triangle of support that exists between the school, the White Bear Area Y, and the students’ home. This method of intervention has proven to be life changing in many ways. The Promise Fellows have helped 34% of students on their focus list to increase in their attendance and increased 95% for the on time rate compared to the baseline data. 97% of the students also have fewer office visits, detentions, and out-of-school suspensions, and 23% have increased their GPA.
– Promise Fellow Supervisor at White Bear Lake YMCA
- You are a school or community-based organization serving youth in any/all of the following grades: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th
- Your organization supports young people who could benefit from additional support in their attendance, behavior and/or course performance
- Your organization tracks and uses data to understand how best to intervene early and often to keep youth engaged in school and on track for high school graduation
- You are a school, non-profit, government agency, community-wide coalition, or statewide agency looking to build the capacity of your organization to address educational inequities
- Your organization is committed to eliminating poverty
All Alliance Partners
- Your organizational values align with the values of the Alliance: collaboration, equity and quality
- Your organization can commit to creating or strengthening sustainable partnerships between schools and community partners
- Your organization and staff fully believe in the promise of young people and that all youth can succeed
- Your organization is open to explore how youth can have a voice in your organization
- Your organization and staff are committed to increasing the high school graduation rate to 90% by 2020
- Your organization is able to budget $7,200 to host an AmeriCorps Member
If you would like to gain a better understanding of the critical roles that AmeriCorps Promise Fellow sand VISTAs play in schools and community-based organizations, please review the AmeriCorps Promise Fellow and VISTA Program Overview.
For any additional questions, or to explore how your organization might align with our work, please contact Kori Redepenning at email@example.com.