Activities and Events
Since 2013, GradMinnesota has partnered with key stakeholders in Minnesota to convene local and statewide summits. The events bring together youth, educators, community members and leaders, and policy makers to discuss the issues most affecting you and develop strategies for action.
June GradMinnesota Meeting
When: Thursday, June 15, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m
Where: Minnesota Department of Education (Conference Center A, Room 1&2)
The focus of this meeting is on GradMN Recommendation #3 – Increase Mentoring Throughout the State!
Guest Speaker Michael Goar, CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Twin Cities, will share information on the state of mentoring in Minnesota today.
PAST ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING AGENDAS AND CONTENT
April 20, 2017: Feature Topic: GradMinnesota Recommendation #1 Ensure Quality Data is Available and Used to Effectively Target Supports for Students
February 9, 2017: Feature Topic: GradMinnesota Recommendation #5 Replace Exclusionary Discipline Policies and Practices with More Effective Alternatives
November 17, 2016
- Presentations by: We Want You Back (Minneapolis Public Schools) and GradNation Communities in Minnesota
July 21, 2016
- Presentation: Youth as Advisors, School Climate, Policy and Beyond
- GradMN Operations Survey Results and Implications
May 19, 2016
- Prezi: Alternative Pathways to Earn a Diploma (GradMN Rec #7) Early Middle College
- Collective Action and Communication Subcommittee Update
- GradMN Summary (PPT)
- GradNation 2016 Report
- How is MN doing?
- GradMinnesota January 2017 E-Newsletter
- GradMinnesota February 2017 E-Newsletter
- GradMinnesota March 2017 E-Newsletter
- GradMinnesota April 2017 E-Newsletter
- GradMinnesota May 2017 E-Newsletter
- GradMinnesota June 2017 E-Newsletter
For more information on the subcommittees, or to become involved, please contact the appropriate co-chair:
Steering Committee: Contact Sarah Dixon, Minnesota Alliance With Youth
Strategy Committee: Contact Cammy Lehr, Minnesota Alliance With Youth
- Legislative Advocacy Subcommitee Co-Chairs: Kori Redepenning, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and Mai-Ahn Kapanke, Mentoring Partnership of Minnesota
- Communication Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Kate Suchomel, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and TBA
- Resource Library Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Cammy Lehr, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and TBA
- Collective Impact Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Sarah Dixon, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and Roberto Reyes, Minnesota Department of Education
At the Promise Fellow Midyear Retreat in February 2016, GradMinnesota presented information on four Priority Recommendations (using data, providing a multi-tiered system of supports, mentoring, and replacing exclusionary discipline practices). Participants were invited to provide examples of best practices related to the recommendations on “Bright Spot” cards. This list is intended to be a resource for individuals interested in finding out more about these strategies for engaging young people in school and keeping them on the path to graduation and postsecondary success. Click here to see the Bright Spots List.
2014 Statewide Summit
On Friday, June 13th, over 200 youth and adults from across Minnesota gathered at Hamline University for the Statewide Summit: Ignite Youth Voice for Change. Supported by a strategic partnership with Minnesota Alliance With Youth, Minnesota Youth Council, youthrive and Youthprise, as well as State Farm, the event was a culmination of eight district summits during 2013 and 2014. Ignite Youth Voice For Change brought together youth, community leaders, elected officials, nonprofits and Minnesota Youth Council members to share youth perspective, mobilize youth voice, celebrate ongoing work, hear from experts and gain new skills.
Past Congressional Summits
- Carleton College in Northfield on November 6, 2013 (District 2)
- Minnesota State University in Mankato on November 18, 2013 (District 1)
- Lake Superior College in Duluth on November 23, 2013 (District 8)
- Hamline University in St. Paul on December 10, 2013 (Districts 4 & 5)
- St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud on January 13, 2014 (District 6)
- Bemidji State University in Bemidji on January 20, 2014 (District 7)
- Chanhassen High School in Chanhassen on January 22, 2014 (District 3)
Check out this clip from “A Summit of Experts: Generating Solutions to Address Dropout and the Achievement Gap,” at Hamline University on Dec. 10, 2013.
Thanks to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation, America’s Promise Alliance and State Farm for their support of this initiative!