Activities and Events
Since 2013, GradMinnesota has partnered with key stakeholders in Minnesota to convene local and statewide summits. The events bring together youth, educators, community members and leaders, and policy makers to discuss the issues most affecting you and develop strategies for action.
Community Mediation and Restorative Servicees Annual Conference Friday, April 29, Minneapolis. Keynote Speaker Dr. Artika Tyner, A Call to Leadership: Strategies for Building Restorative Communities, followed by eight workshops featuring an exciting array of topics and presenters for those involved with restorative practices, community mediation, alternative dispute resolution and peacemaking.
Restorative Practices in Schools Summer Training (Registration and info coming soon) Minnesota Department of Education School Safety Technical Assistance Center, June 20-24, Twin Cities.
2016 Reaching the Wounded Student Conference June 26-29, 2016 Embassy Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista South, Kissimmee, FL. Are you familiar with trauma-informed education? Do you know how to identify, and treat with compassion and effectiveness, students who are victims of sporadic or chronic trauma? Are you yourself in danger of compassion fatigue? Plan to attend this conference to learn skills and strategies that will help reach wounded students. A limited call for proposals to present will open soon.
2016 National Dropout Prevention Network Conference October 2-5, 2016, Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI. Make plans to attend now. Check out motivational speaker Eric Thomas, with a video invitation to this conference on the Home page!
PAST ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING AGENDAS
For more information on the subcommittees, or to become involved, please contact the appropriate co-chair:
Steering Committee: Contact Sarah Dixon, Minnesota Alliance With Youth
Strategy Committee: Contact Cammy Lehr, Minnesota Alliance With Youth
- Legislative Advocacy Subcommitee Co-Chairs: Kori Redepenning, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and Mai-Ahn Kapanke, Mentoring Partnership of Minnesota
- Communication Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Kate Suchomel, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and TBA
- Resource Library Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Cammy Lehr, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and TBA
- Collective Impact Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Sarah Dixon, Minnesota Alliance With Youth and Roberto Reyes, Minnesota Department of Education
2014 Statewide Summit
On Friday, June 13th, over 200 youth and adults from across Minnesota gathered at Hamline University for the Statewide Summit: Ignite Youth Voice for Change. Supported by a strategic partnership with Minnesota Alliance With Youth, Minnesota Youth Council, youthrive and Youthprise, as well as State Farm, the event was a culmination of eight district summits during 2013 and 2014. Ignite Youth Voice For Change brought together youth, community leaders, elected officials, nonprofits and Minnesota Youth Council members to share youth perspective, mobilize youth voice, celebrate ongoing work, hear from experts and gain new skills.
Past Congressional Summits
- Carleton College in Northfield on November 6, 2013 (District 2)
- Minnesota State University in Mankato on November 18, 2013 (District 1)
- Lake Superior College in Duluth on November 23, 2013 (District 8)
- Hamline University in St. Paul on December 10, 2013 (Districts 4 & 5)
- St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud on January 13, 2014 (District 6)
- Bemidji State University in Bemidji on January 20, 2014 (District 7)
- Chanhassen High School in Chanhassen on January 22, 2014 (District 3)
Check out this clip from “A Summit of Experts: Generating Solutions to Address Dropout and the Achievement Gap,” at Hamline University on Dec. 10, 2013.