Youth In Educational Leadership Summit
YELS 2021 was held virtually on April 24th! Thanks to everyone that joined us!
Across the state, young people are in positions of leadership in their schools and communities, working within the same system and towards similar goals regarding education and equity. However, we rarely have the opportunity to meet and collaborate directly. We know that strong youth voice, representation, and partnership is necessary in order to create a Minnesota that empowers ALL students.
Presentations and workshops focused 4 key areas: Environmental Justice, Juvenile Justice, Education Equity, and Health & Wellbeing. Workshops included:
- Youth Implementing School-Wide Restorative Practices
- Climate Justice Education Bill
- How to Talk to Legislators
- Mental Health & the Pandemic
- Grassroots Organizing and the Bottom-up Approach for Environmental Justice Organizing
- How the US Healthcare System has Failed POC
- Tobacco Prevention and Policy Organizing
- Feed Your Potential With Plant-Based Foods
- Know Your Rights
- Education Equity and What the School System Refused to Teach Us
- Sexual Reeducation: The Effects of Sexual Education and Youth Resources on a Community
- UI for All: How High School Students Won $70 Million Dollars!
- The Ins and Outs of Teen Organizing: Burnout, Tokenism, & Reality
- Amplify your Audience – The Power of Marketing
- Increasing Representation for Girls in STEM & How to Take Action
The Minnesota Youth Council hosted the very first Youth in Educational Leadership Summit (YELS) in 2019 at Patrick Henry High School. It was exciting day full of trainings and workshops designed and facilitated entirely by youth. Teachers, coaches, parents, and other mentors also participated in our student facilitated Adult Partner track, where they learned how to best support young leaders. See a recap of the day’s events in our YELS2019 Wakelet!
And, give this YELS 2019 podcast created by the student podcasters at StoryArk a listen!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
YELS 2021 is generously supported by Youth Service America and the Graves Foundation!