Advocate For AmeriCorps
Across the country, AmeriCorps programs, including Alliance Promise Fellows and VISTAs, engage more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year. Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed over 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing volunteers for the organizations they serve. National service delivers incredible results in our country, and needs YOUR support to continue to thrive in our communities.
State Funding For AmeriCorps Promise Fellows
The Alliance is requesting funding from the Minnesota Legislature to support AmeriCorps Promise Fellows. Currently Reading Corps, Math Corps, and College Possible all receive state funds to support their AmeriCorps members. You can help our efforts to support Promise Fellows!
Promise Fellow Host Site Advocacy
The Alliance is happy to support Promise Fellow host sites in building relationships with their local elected officials. Please utilize this toolkit to help with your outreach efforts.
- Elected Official Site Visit Invitation Template
- Elected Official Site Visit FAQ
- Find Your MN Elected Official
Minnesota Youth Council
Youth leadership: Minnesota Youth Council
In 2013, the Minnesota Legislature formally recognized the work of the MYC, passing into law the Minnesota Youth Council Committee Bill, which establishes the MYC as a voice for youth to provide advice and recommendations to the legislature and the governor on issues affecting youth and to serve as a liaison for youth around the state to the legislature and the governor. Read more about the work of the Minnesota Youth Council Committee here!
On April 26, 2019, the MYC heard testimony on the following bills, with responses below:
- SF 01 Mental Health Coverage (presented by Sue Abderholden of NAMI MN)
- SF 1674 School Resource Officers Requirements (presented by Senator Kent)
On February 28, 2019, the MYC heard testimony on the following bills, with responses below:
- HF 09 “Red Flag” law- law enforcement and family members enabled to petition a court to prohibit people from possessing firearms if they pose a significant danger to themselves or others by possessing a firearm, (presented by former Rep. Erin Maye-Quade)
- HF 250- Affirmative Consent Instruction (Representative Kunesh-Podein)
On April 21st, 2018, the MYC heard testimony on the following four bills, with responses below:
- HF 1027 Appropriation for AmeriCorps Promise Fellows (presented by Kori Redepenning, CEO of MN Alliance With Youth)
- HF 3594- Increase Teachers of Color Act strengthened, (Rep. Mariani)
- SF 1691 – Homeless families support services system redesign authorization and appropriation (Sen. Clausen)
- HF 2768 – Child sexual abuse, trafficking prevention (Rep. Jessup)
Alliance Policy Agenda
To learn more about the policy work the Alliance is supporting throughout MN and nationally, please read our policy agenda.
If you have any policy related questions, please contact Kori Redepenning, Chief Executive Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.