Minnesota Youth Council Advocacy
Through their work at the state legislature, the MYC acts as a voice for youth to the legislature and the governor. Read more about the work of the Minnesota Youth Council Committee.
The Alliance is seeking state funding to support the work of the Minnesota Youth Council and ensure that youth voices continues to have a place at the state capitol. Please call your representatives and ask them to support SF1047 and HF683.
The MYC members hear testimony on bills related to education and young people 2-3 times each legislative session. After each meeting, MYC Policy Committee members develop and send feedback letters to the authors of each bill heard.
February 24 & 25, 2020 Feedback Letters
- HF 12 Prohibition of Conversion Therapy (presented by Representative Cantrell)
- HF 1363 Support our Students grant program (presented by Representative Huot and Mr. Smith)
- HF 1414 Comprehensive Sex Education (presented by Representative Lippert)
April 26, 2019 Feedback Letters
- SF 01 Mental Health Coverage (presented by Sue Abderholden of NAMI MN)
- SF 1674 School Resource Officers Requirements (presented by Senator Kent)
February 28, 2019 Feedback LEtters
- HF 09 “Red Flag” law- law enforcement and family members enabled to petition a court to prohibit people from possessing firearms if they pose a significant danger to themselves or others by possessing a firearm, (presented by former Rep. Erin Maye-Quade)
- HF 250- Affirmative Consent Instruction (Representative Kunesh-Podein)
April 20, 2018 Feedback LEtters
- HF 1027 Appropriation for AmeriCorps Promise Fellows (presented by Kori Redepenning, CEO of MN Alliance With Youth)
- HF 3594- Increase Teachers of Color Act strengthened, (Rep. Mariani)
- SF 1691 – Homeless families support services system redesign authorization and appropriation (Sen. Clausen)
- HF 2768 – Child sexual abuse, trafficking prevention (Rep. Jessup)
MYC Funding Bill Hearing- April 13, 2018
MARCH 27, 2018 FEEDBACK LETTERS
- HF960 School Linked Mental Health Programs (Rep. Backer)
- SF3279 Criminal background checks for firearm transfers requirement (Sen. Little)
- SF1386 Children 10 years and over right to counsel disclosure (Sen. Relph)