The Groundwork Fellow Experience
Groundwork Fellows: Building Power with Minnesota Youth
Every day, across the state, nonprofits and government agencies are working to build a Minnesota where every young person can thrive — and they need help. That’s why building capacity at youth-serving organizations is so important for the future of young people in our state. The Alliance’s AmeriCorps Groundwork Fellows program matches talented people who care deeply for youth with the organizations where their skills and passion can make the biggest difference. With your help, these organizations can create more effective and powerful solutions for young people facing poverty, racism, and educational inequities in our state. The work will be challenging. But you’ll have the support you need to do it well, all year long — financial assistance, mentorship and leadership training, and the extraordinary community of your fellow Groundwork Fellows .
Through their service, Groundwork Fellows implement three key strategies:
- Build capacity at their host site organization to help address education inequities such as the achievement and opportunity gaps
- Coordinate efforts that bridge and build the integration of school and community wide support for youth, focused on providing and sharing resources that increase a young person’s school attendance, behavior and/or course performance (all indicators with a strong link to academic engagement and high school graduation)
- Actively engage youth as agents of change in closing the opportunity and achievement gaps in their communities
With a year of service as a Groundwork Fellow, your talents, values, and dedication will make a difference in the lives of Minnesota youth for generations to come.
You care deeply for young people. You want to work with others who share your ideals — and you’re ready to take a bold step forward in your life. Minnesota Alliance With Youth’s AmeriCorps Groundwork Fellow Program is committed to providing ongoing, extensive professional development and training to our AmeriCorps Members. As an AmeriCorps Groundwork Fellow, you will gain behind-the-scenes experience at your host site, learn from mentors and peers, and benefit from a wide range of workshops and trainings led by community members and experts in the Alliance’s statewide network. Your year as a Groundwork Fellow will empower you to develop your professional skills, make a difference for those you serve, and emerge as a leader in Minnesota’s educational equity sector. The AmeriCorps Groundwork Fellow program offers over 200 hours of training and Professional Development opportunities for members during their service year:
Alliance AmeriCorps Groundwork Fellows benefit from exceptional support for starting their life after AmeriCorps:
- Tap into a large and active network of AmeriCorps Alumni and Alliance partners throughout Minnesota who can help you transition to your post-service career.
- Learn tips and tricks to take your career to the next level through resume workshopping, mock-interviewing, and informational interviews.
- If Grad school is in your future, take advantage of matching institutions – universities that match the Segal Education Award!
- AmeriCorps members benefit from a year of non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs, allowing you to get the jump on competitive government positions.